Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Economics of Deceased Cats

My cat died the other day. Instead of dealing with my grief, let's look at the economics of putting your pet down at home. Considering I spent roughly $800 on tests to figure out what was wrong with my animal, this seems like a bargain:

Home visit: $95
After hours charge: $20
Injections: $90
Transport: $30
Private cremation: $150
Total: $385

When I spoke to the doctor, she was very clear about all the costs, which was good. However, I would have paid her $500 to come and put my animal out of its misery and not blinked an eye. The doctor was very professional for what I imagine to be an emotionally wrentching job. I cannot imagine trying to retain my professional demeanor when a 6' 4" 250 lbs. man is crying like a school girl over an 8 lb. cat.

The really odd was picking up the ashes at the crematorium. They give you a bag to bring your pet home in with the name of the service on it. What am I supposed to do with this bag after I bring my cat's ashes home? Is anyone going to bring their lunch to work in a bag that says "XYZ Pet Cremation Services" on it?

No comments: